Thursday, February 14, 2008

CELL Sustainability Through Community

The Center for Ecological Living and Learning´s (CELL) Central America study abroad program is a life-changing experience for students who believe that they can make a difference in the world and who aren't afraid to try! During this CELL program, you will explore sustainability through community in three of the most diverse countries in the world: Nicaragua, Honduras, and Costa Rica. You will get muddy hiking to the top of a volcano. You will help in the conservation of endangered sea turtles. You will learn about the human and ecological issues facing this region of the world. You will live in homestays with local families. You will visit many communities striving to become more sustainable. You will roll up your shirt sleeves and learn experientially and through service to others. You will learn about imaginative solutions to global problems and what is being done today to solve these problems. You will join a team of committed people who are changing the world.

If you would like more information on our programs, you can visit our website a: (http://www.cellonline.org/), you can e-mail us at: info@cellonline.org, or you can call us at: (207) 230-4025. Below are student reflections about our Spring 2008 Central America study abroad program:

Dana: Before arriving in Nicaragua, I thought I knew about this country. But now that I have actually experienced Nicaragua, I know that I really knew very little. This is a perfect example of the power of experience. Nicaragua, in my mind, before this trip was a place of danger... I had an impression of Nicaragua that was formed through my government, the media, etc. I now know this image is false. I now see exactly how necessary experience is and how screwed one´s view can be without it. What harm can come from questioning everything except a greater truth? Many times in my life I have avoided doing things or going places because I was afraid of what I imagined might happen. My experiences in Nicaragua have put truth to the saying, ¨the only thing to fear, is fear itself.¨ I hope that in the future I hold this particular experience close so as not to perpetuate false truths.

Sarah: Prior to coming to Nicaragua, I really did not know much about the country. I knew Nicaragua was a very poor country and was suffering economically. I was a little worried about coming here because of the way the U.S. portrays this country. After being in Nicaragua for a week, my perception of this country and its people has totally changed. Often I feel ashamed to tell people I am from the U.S. because of what our government is doing and has done to the Nicaraguan people. However, everyone I have talked to has welcmed me warmly and separated me as a person from my government. I have found people to be very friendly and loving. Being in Nicaragua has reminded me of the importance of loving people for who they are and not for where they are from. what their religion is, what their government is doing, etc. I find it very humbling that my homestay father, and other Nicaraguans I have talked to, can forgive the U.S. after all the terrible things we have done and said about Nicaraguans. It is an important, humbling lesson of forgiveness I have learned from the people of Nicaragua. Not only has my perception changed about the people, but also about the land. The hikes we have taken on three volcanos have been absolutely gorgeous and Leon and Granada were beautiful historic cities. I am excited to see what else I can learn from these amazing people and from the land they call home.

Dave T: Before this trip started, I thought that Nicaragua was going to be a scary place. But once I arrived, I realized how wrong all of my preconceived percpetions were. At every place we have stayed, I´ve been treated with with so much respect and open arms... The country is beautiful with so much diversity in the landscape, plants, animals, people... Everyone in this country can afford food, and it is real food. In the States people often eat processed food and here people are eating real food and a variety of foods. People have lunch hours where they go home and eat a real meal: where they sit down and can enjoy it. In that way they are better off than us... They are so much farther along than we are back in the States...

Max: I guess I didn´t know too much specifically about Nicaragua (before I came on this study abroad). I feel the Nicaraguans are a very nice, generous, and spiritual people with a strong cultural look. They are resilient and resourceful. Overall, I have learned to experience a people, culture, and country, not just read about them and judge them. We have to experience more to know more. (There is a saying): ¨A person who knows but one culture, knows none.¨

Jonas: Before I went on this trip, I knew that Nicaragua was poorer than Honduras and Costa Rica. This made me believe that it would be the most dangerous of the three. However, since being on the trip I have learned that Nicaragua is one of the safest countries in Central America. I thought being a poorer nation would result in higher crime rates. However, now I know that I should not have placed that label on this country. Another thought I have about Nicaragua is how much potential it has. It is such a beautiful place, but things such as wasteful practices (not recycling pop bottles, for example) is destroying many beautiful areas. Hopefully, Nicaraguans will see their potential and begin to make some changes.

Carmen: At first, I did not know what to expect of this country... In some ways, maybe it was a good thing because I came here with a blank slate, ready to absorb everything I would be exposed to. One thing I never expected was how beautiful the land is here. Especially coming into the mountains of Matagalpa, I was overwhelmed by the views. This is truly a diverse land in termsof ecology and types of ecosystems. I also never realized there were so many volcanoes. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I recognized a lot of plants from Mexico and St. Croix. Coming here, I was prepared to feel like an alien until I better learned my surroundings, but thankfully I was able to bypass that awkward alien stage, proceeding instead to the young child stage. Overall, I feel my perception of Nicaragua is still in the forming stage, and it probably always will be. But I feel that the perceptions I am forming are legitimate now that I am basing them on personal experiences. Having learned some of Nicaragua´s history and talking with people who have lived it, I have a much greater appreciation for all this country has been through. My perception of the Nicaraguan people is certainly a good one. They are friendly and I have enjoyed talking with everyone I have spoken with so far. However, one of the biggest qualms is all the trash everywhere. I realize that if they grow up seeing it, they don´t realize how horrible it really is. Solving that problem is going to take a change in perceptions on the part of the Nicaraguan people.

No comments: